A Lake District family holiday is the ultimate UK staycation spot. With some of the most beautiful landscapes in England, idyllic places to camp, and lots of outdoor activities, your whole family will adore Cumbria.
Places to Stay in the Lake District on a Family Holiday
The Lake District has been named one of the top places in the UK for a family holiday, and it’s no wonder why with so many incredible places. We’ve put together our top 4 places to stay on your Lake District family holiday.
- Windermere – One of the most popular Cumbrian destinations, Windermere is a 10.5m long lake surrounded by popular holiday resorts.
- Keswick – Keswick is a bustling Lake District town that has a market dating back to 1276.
- Grasmere – Those who are on the hunt for the haunts of Britain’s romantic poets will adore Grasmere. William Wordsworth lived here and had an enviable view onto the peaks of Cumbria.
- Wasdale – Wasdale is home to another of Cumbria’s famous lakes, Wastwater. 3 miles long, and 1 mile wide this is a beautiful glacial lake, and is the deepest in England at 258ft.
Lake District Family Holiday Accommodation
- Cottages – A cottage is the ideal place to stay on your Lake District family holiday. Characterised by their slate stone appearance across the area, Lake District holiday cottages are cosy and inviting.
- Camping – A cheaper way to stay in the Lake District on your family holiday is to camp. The Lake District is full of lovely camping sites, perfect for every family.
- Lakeside Lodge – For special occasions, hiring a lodge at the side of one of the pretty lakes is a way to make unforgettable memories.
Things to Do on Your Family Holiday to the Lake District
Lake District family holidays are well-known for their outdoorsy nature. But there’s something for everyone in this part of the country.
- Beatrix Potter’s House – Those young and old will be enchanted by exploring the world of Beatrix Potter and Peter Rabbit at her home, Hill Top, which she donated to the National Trust.
- Dove Cottage – Another one for the literary fans. Find inspiration by visiting Dove Cottage, the home of Wiliam Wordsworth and his sister Dorothy.
- Walks – No matter the time of year, there are lots of easy and challenging walks in the Lake District for families.
- Scree Running – The more adventurous among your group may enjoy scree running down the peaks of the Lake District.
Plan Your UK Holiday with Cottage Decisions
Planning a staycation in the UK? Cottage Decisions has the resources to help you plan your trip. Whether you’re after a holiday cottage in North Wales, or would rather a family trip to the Heart of England – look no further.